A solo adventure part 3

My solo at the beginning of Flesh and Spokes


Show time!!!!  Our call to the theater on Saturday was for 3:00.We made this call in plenty of time and were able to relax a bit before I was needed. After my rehearsal and notes it was snack time followed by make up and costumes.

At rehearsal the previous day, it hadn't taken me long to adapt to the stage, but the wings were a problem for me. Every theater has different wings but in all the eight years I've been dancing professionally I have never seen wings like these. They were shallow and wide. The booms for the lights were in each wing making it cramped and scary (each boom held 2 or 3 lights and each light got very, very hot. Not to mention the lights are very expensive.) The set up was such that turning around in the  wing and remaining hidden would be impossible. This meant that for each of my 3 exits, I would have to go off backwards. One of the things we're taught as a dancer is to never look over your shoulder unless it's part of the choreography. Part of the problem had been solved by our stage manager who had the brilliant idea to tape the area where I needed to stop. With that problem solved, I felt ready for the show...

Until one hour before show. My colleague's sister was just starting my make up, when I started to experience a massive wave of anxiety. My friend knew she had to get me out of that room, but we also had to get make up done. However we all knew that trying to do make up when I was crying, or almost crying was probably not the wisest idea  ever. So my friend took me into the hall and around the corner to a quiet place. I was deeply touched as she took me in her arms and held me, allowing me the time I needed to calm down, then she prayed for me. What a blessing it was to know I was surrounded and supported not just physically but spiritually and emotionally too.

The audience was full when our stage manager gave us the five minute call. In fact they were turning people away at the door. By the time we got out with Flesh and Spokes however half the audience had gone. We concluded that this probably due to the fact that there were no programs, and so the audience had no way of knowing another piece was coming...plus it was a free show. oh well. Those that did stay enjoyed it.

Me and fellow dancer Julie Anne in Flesh and Spokes
The Propeller Dance Company and guests in Flesh and Spokes

Comments

  1. Very impactful photos. Especially the solo. I'd be nervous too! Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, those wings sound terrifying! I am sure Propeller has come up with ideas for next time to let the audiences know the show is still going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica, you do such a great job taking us along on your adventures. I so appreciate the level of realness you express in your writing. Reading about your recent trip to Toronto was both refreshing and fun. The pictures are amazing too. ~Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful.
      I'd like to dance with you one day xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good bye, my friend

A blurry photo

Why "Choreographer's Cuisine?"