A gift

When I, along with four of my colleagues were chosen to dance at the opening ceremonies of the National Arts Center on Canada Day, I had no idea what a gift and declaration He would give to me

We were told that we were one of four groups to perform and that it was a five minute show. Each group was given one minute and then all fifteen of us would come together for the last minute. Dakhká Khwáan (pronounced - Dakka Khan) an indigenous drum and dance group was tasked with choreographing this final minute. We all met on Friday June 30. This was the day to show each other our group's choreographies and to choreograph the ending all together. 

In their culture, the indigenous women are not allowed to teach the men dance and vice versa, so we divided up. The women started by telling us that in their culture, the men are regarded as protectors, and that they are regarded as princesses. My heart jumped at this as I believe that I am a princess; a daughter of the King of kings.   

The chosen  move for the women was a simple one and yet so profound. We had to put our arms in the air and simply sway. We were told that this move was, in their culture, a sign of respect.  We were to dance for Prince Charles hence the move was chosen. 

However, me being me, saw an opportunity. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt what I needed to do. I needed to first acknowledge who I was; a daughter of the King of kings and thus a princess, and I needed to dance, honouring not only Prince Charles and the 149 other dignitaries at that show, but honour and worship my King and my God. 

It was such a gift to be able to not only dance on Canada Day in front of the  Prince but to be able to be present at the NAC's re-opening, claiming back the art form of dance for God, praying through those halls backstage, worshiping Him on that "stage" for all to see, (the public watched through the windows - quite the crowd outside too) 

God indeed gave me a gift and another reminder that, even though it's been a really challenging year in many ways, I am right where He wants me for such a time as this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good bye, my friend

A blurry photo

Fact or fantasy - how big was it?