What is choreography?

It is the art of creating and arranging dances. The word is derived from the Greek for “dance” and “write,” reflecting its early meaning as a written record of dances

 Choreography is a beautiful thing. Who would like to go see a dance where the dancers weren't structured? I know I wouldn't like that dance too much, it would be absolute chaos. Even in an improvisation score, there is structure, the dancers are given a concept to explore, a movement phrase to play with, or sometimes even a specific movement task to do.Within these three examples, improvisation can happen, and is even beautiful to watch. 

Choreography can be created in three ways. 
  1. You can come with a set choreography in mind and teach it to your dancers
  2.  You can give your dancers ideas and let them play with these ideas for a bit and start creating your dance based on what you see and like. 
  3. You can combine the two above ways
I have recently created a dance. I primarily used the second way. I'd come to rehearsal with a few exercises that surrounded my theme of family and friends. The first many rehearsals we had I asked for the entire group to be present because I knew that even though I had only chosen two dancers plus myself I could still get ideas off of the other six dancers.  Once I felt I'd gathered enough information  I began meeting with my two other dancers plus an understudy. This person was tasked with learning my role and dancing in my place  so I could step out and watch from time to time. She is also a tremendous encouragement.

I believe God choreographs us the same way. Sometime He just tells us what to do, where to go and how to act, other times He creates a situation for us and helps guide us through it. He has an image in his mind of what His Choreography will look like in the end. Even if your life feels like chaos, remember there is always our Choreographer.

Comments

  1. Thank you - your comparison of choreography and our Lord's approach to giving us direction is excellent. It is just that we forget who is our Master some times.
    I listened to Pie Jesu on GodTube sung by a young girl. It is simple, but beautiful. Are you and your parents thinking of accepting the invitation for Good Friday?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good bye, my friend

A blurry photo

Why "Choreographer's Cuisine?"