Bruised, Battered and Bitten!

Yesterday, my worker and I did something I haven't done in ten or twelve years. We went for a bike ride!!

My parents bought me a bike when I was about six and when I outgrew that one...they bought me another. These bikes are different than your typical bike. Having the challenges I do, I can't ride a regular bike, I  ride something called a recumbent bike.

This is fun 


Because I haven't ridden the bike is ten or twelve years we weren't actually sure a. if I could actually do it and b. if it would be in good enough working condition to even try. Dad had to put air in the tires and while he was doing that he noticed that the peddles were broken. The straps that hold my feet were still there though, and my adventurous worker agreed to give it a try.

After a quick training session on the bike (there really isn't much to learn, it's pretty simple) we started off down the driveway and turned left. I had forgotten that my street has a slight incline to it. So after my foot slipped off the peddle for the fifth time in as many minutes and seeing that I was having a really hard time my worker and I decided to try going the other way down the street and theoretically downhill.

Arriving at the crossroads of my street and another I turned down it wondering if I could do the full block. My foot fell about five more time but aside from that the ride was fairly easy and painless except for the mosquitoes that we kept having to swat and the fact that the bottom of the seat caught the back of my heel a couple times too many and the foam my dad put on the back of the seat has now fallen off.

We arrived home bruised, battered and bitten but happy. I had made it around the block. Next time we go we're covering ourselves in bug-spray and hopefully it'll be easier too. It was fun though  The time between my last bike ride and the one on Tuesday has nothing to do with a decrease in my physical abilities but rather the time it's taken to strengthen my legs and core to be able to do what I did. perhaps I won't have to wait so long for my next ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good bye, my friend

A blurry photo

Fact or fantasy - how big was it?