Mixed feelings

Six amazing years ago Cyrus came into our family. I had never truly understood a dog's love before I met him. Now I do. Cyrus gives me so much. He's there if I need a cuddle, he'll nose me when we're in bed at night, he's always ready to help me when I need it. But, he's getting old.

I had a meeting with a trainer from Canadian Guide Dogs back in July. One of the things she said was that in order for it to work with getting another service dog, I must hand my precious Cyrus to another member of my family, give up all claim to him and totally focus all my attention on the new little one.

On one hand I'm excited. I want another service dog to take out with me, to have when our Cyrus dies. On the other hand I don't think I can bring myself to give him up...even to my sister. I know he'd still be in the house, I'd still see him, get to pet him, play with him, walk him on occasion, be with him. The thought of not having him there all the time though is scary.

A service dog is so very different than just a pet dog. Yes we love our dogs and want them to live a long happy life. but a  service dog becomes  an extension of the person. When I  go out without him, I feel as though some major part of me is missing, as if I've cut off my right arm.

As we prepare to retire my beautiful Cyrus, I expect to go through a roller coaster of emotions. Six years seems impossible and yet it has flown by. We will enjoy this final year and God will give me the strength to do what I need to do when the time comes.

Comments

  1. That must be so hard! :'( I will be praying He will give you the strength when the time comes to retire Cyrus. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good bye, my friend

A blurry photo

Why "Choreographer's Cuisine?"